Sunday, March 26, 2023

Roadie With A Drum Kit

Previously: Mr. Acker Bilk Got Here Before The Beatles

If you spend enough time on Youtube tracking down obscure musicians, you may eventually come across 60-year-old amateur drummer Ole Rosssillly. (That's right, he spells his name with three 'S's and three 'L's.) Ole was a roadie for all the great rock bands back in the day, and now that he is (presumably) retired, he spends his days honoring the musicians he used to set up for by enthusiastically doing drum covers of their hits.  

But Ole doesn't go halfway. Oh no. He has an almost ridiculously massive drum set; if a kit this big was actually on stage at a concert, it would probably crowd the other musicians off the stage.  Yet somehow Ole manages to utilize every piece of percussion in every recording I've watched him play so far; I counted ten tom-toms and 20 cymbals of varying sizes, plus several cowbells and other doo-dads. And I'm sure I still missed a few. 

For each song Ole covers, he films himself from four separate angles, because you can't see all of the equipment from only one camera.  After I watched his first cover of the Monkees' Pleasant Valley Sunday, I'm danged if I couldn't keep myself from clicking on and watching it from the the other three cameras!  Then I watched him play to several other hits, also at four angles each.  Couldn't help myself; I kept on watching for hours!  A drum kit like his would have been my teenage dream. 

So now Ole seems to be living his dream by spending what must be his every waking hour playing his heart out in tribute to his rock heroes.  I say good for you, Ole!

Be sure you click on the video so you watch it directly on his Youtube channel because you won't want to miss ole's introductory comments. to his videos. because part of the charm. is that he tends. to overly punctuate. his sentences. a lot.  

And for heaven's sake, give this poor guy a "like." A cat who dedicates this much time to his passion deserves to have more than the mere two this video has garnered so far.







No comments:

Post a Comment